An Open Letter to Elon Musk re Mind Uploading and Colonizing Mars

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

   An Open Letter to Elon Musk re Mind Uploading and Colonizing Mars


Elon Musk

re Mind Uploading and Colonizing Mars


Dear Elon,


All my life (I am 65 now) I have wanted to explore the rest of the known Universe - to do this I knew I would need a greatly extended life span. I worked in BioMedical Research and then in IT and might still complete a PhD in computer simulations of Population Genetics of Threatened Species.

When I could no longer ignore increasing physical decrepitude, I investigated and became actively involved in Cryonics. Later, with signs of cognitive decline (my father died last year from Alzheimer's at age 89), I decided that information preservation was more important than cell viability, so I set up the Neural Archives Foundation. NAF has been in existence for nearly nine years and has frozen more than one brain per year - including those of both my parents last year.

Related articles
Now, in addition to my own health issues, the planet also has rapidly increasing environmental health problems - with the potential for Abrupt Climate Change and concomitant, large-scale ecological collapses. For these reasons I am convinced that I need to become a virtual person (via mind uploading) sooner rather than later - and lots of other people should too - "Rage, rage against the dying of the light."!

Since your PayPal days I have been following your ventures with great interest (I have even paid the deposit on the purchase of the Model 3 Tesla) and I also think that the world would not be in the parlous state that it is now if we had had more corporate leaders like you.

I have a proposition for you, and, with a lot of luck and a very large amount of commitment and investment of resources, we might be able to help each other. A successful result would be that I would get to explore the Universe for as long as I found life interesting and exciting and, with the help of my virtual self, you would have a much better chance of successfully colonizing Mars. Your current SpaceX and Tesla projects are part of the bigger picture and your new 'Neural Lace' development is a very big part of it.

Sending virtual people to Mars solves lots of your "hairless apes in tin cans with air, food and water" problems - the more virtual people with synthetic bodies you have on the trips, the more successful colonisation is likely to be - particularly in the initial stages.

Let me know if you want to chat.

Sincerely,

Philip Rhoades



By  Philip RhoadesEmbed

Philip Rhoades is an Executive Officer at the  Cryonics Association of Australasia (http://cryonics.org.au), Executive Director, Neural Archives Foundation (http://neuralarchivesfoundation.org) as well as a member of the LifeBoat Foundation (http://lifeboat.com)



0 comments:

Post a Comment